Try the chicken, pork or turkey variations for a tasty 1-pan main dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
1 boil-in-bag pouch white or whole grain brown rice
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (29 oz.) Veg-All® Mixed Vegetables, well drained
3/4 cup prepared salsa, preferably medium or hot
1 can (16 oz.) red or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup sliced green onions or chopped cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add vegetables and cook 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Remove rice pouch from water with a fork. Shake bag to drain well. Empty rice into the skillet. Add salsa and beans; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions or cilantro.
VARIATIONS: To make a quick and flavorful main dish, prepare recipe as directed, except:
- Chicken Red Rice – Cook 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks, in the oil along with the garlic for 5 minutes before adding vegetables. Increase salsa to 1 cup.
- Pork or Turkey Red Rice - Add 2 cups cubed leftover cooked pork roast or turkey breast in the oil along with the salsa and beans. Increase salsa to 1 cup.