Try the chicken, pork or turkey variations for a tasty 1-pan main dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
1 boil-in-bag pouch white or whole grain brown rice
2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (29 oz.) Veg-All® Mixed Vegetables, well drained
1 can (16 oz.) red beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 to 3 tsp. Cajun seasonings or hot pepper sauce, to taste
1/2 cup chopped parsley or sliced green onions
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add vegetables and cook 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Remove rice pouch from water with a fork. Shake bag to drain well. Empty rice into the skillet. Add beans and Cajun seasonings; cook 5 to 6 minutes, until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley or green onions.
VARIATIONS: To make a quick and flavorful main dish, prepare recipe as directed, except:
- Andouille Sausage & Vegetable Fried Rice - Add 4 links fully cooked Andouille chicken or smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick, along with the beans and seasonings. Increase cook time to 7 or 8 minutes.
- Cajun Chicken & Vegetable Rice Variation – Cook 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks, in the oil along with the garlic for 5 minutes before adding vegetables. Or, add 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken along with the beans.